Thread: Black Panther
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 03:21 AM   #110
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit I was slightly disappointed by Black Panther. It had a lot going for it, but there were a few problems that left me kind of cold.

- The Black Panther himself was boooriiing. Chadwick Boseman had no charisma and I didn't care about the character at all. In these Marvel style movies where everything revolves around the main hero this is a major problem and I think the biggest single thing that failed to lift the movie from "okay" to "good". I was honestly a bit surprised by how little I liked Black Panther here, as I liked the character and the actor much more before this. I guess it shows how some actors, while good in small roles, can't really carry a movie.

- In general most of the characters weren't much, even though acting saved some of them. I don't know if they were trying too hard to create empowering characters, but I've rarely seen a movie with less character flaws on display.

- This is probably mostly a problem for someone with a background in anthropological studies, but Wakanda was at times quite cringeworthy Afrokitsch. Could have been much worse admittedly, but I did hope for something a bit better.

- I get how this helped simplify the plot, but Wakanda being simultaneously a sort of a dream society and a patriarchal absolute monarchy was just weird, especially since this movie so badly wanted to reflect on real world issues. I really felt they should have addressed that dissonance somehow. Although I suspect the filmmakers realized there was no way to make that okay and still keep Wakanda as the dream society they wanted it to be, so they just went with it. It is I think more than a little awkward considering the undertone of "this is the best Africa can be" of Wakanda.

After all that criticism, it's still a solid B+ movie, plus nice that it got made and all that. Killmonger was easily the bright spot of the movie. The character wasn't bad in itself, but Michael B. Jordan was just excellent.

I also think this was probably a very difficult movie to make, considering all the scrutiny and criticism it was going to be under.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote