View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #218
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Junior or college numbers rarely come into the equation when it comes to signing a prospect. Players are scouted for their ability and projected as to whether they have potential to make it at the next level. To suggest Gadwin got passed over because of other players with showier numbers is using the Oilers scouting mentality. The Blues didn't extend a contract because they didn't see potential in him. Period. That was the Blues perception of him, which may be right or wrong. It is up to Gadwin to see who was right.

No, but his career numbers certainly do. We are talking about a player who has five full seasons under his belt, and a kid who played his first games in the WHL when he was a wee lad of 15. He's been a pretty consistent 60 point player after his rookie season. He managed to play his previous two years at a PPG level. His overage year has seen a massive spike, almost doubling his production. Looks pretty much like the overage spike.

Agreed. I like having guys that show they can find the net, especially right handed shooters. Having said that, it is crazy for someone in the media to be suggesting that a player like this is going to be a "very very good player for the Flames" and "someone to be watched." We need to guard against falling into the same traps we mock Oiler fans for.

I will tend to believe what Peter Loubardias, who follows the WHL thoroughly, with a background that is well known and thoughts that are extremely respected in NHL circles over a poster named "New Era" that I have no idea about his/her/their background and would fathom a guess no one in NHL circles even know exists.

But everyone gets predictions wrong now and again.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote