View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Damn I love The Wire. I first saw it in a hostel and later collected all the DVDs. I've seen it 3 times included the last with my wife who also loved it. I don't think it is a slow burner at all and was hooked from the first episode. The premise with McNulty and the judge leading to the investigation is great and I knew right away this would be an interesting and well written show.

My favourite moment is the time McNulty goes undercover at the brothel and Dominic West gets to use an English accent. My favourite season is 4 which beats out Breaking Bad season 4 as my favourite season of any show ever. The tragic story of the 4 boys combined with the mayoral race makes for brilliant television.

It kick started the careers of many amazing actors too. Idris Elba and Michael B Jordan are mega stars, West and Aiden Gillen are pretty big too, and many others have kept busy since the end of the show.

Also I don't think it has aged at all other than obviously technology was different 10 years ago. The stories around the working class, gentrification, education, and the media to name a few are still very relevant today.

It's great. I don't know what else to day other than that. Oh, obligatory:

Yes, thank you. By far my favorite season as well, but I find it really hard to watch more than once knowing what happens to them.

I've never seen a show that covers so many complex themes well, let alone covers them at all. It's not just a cop show, or a gangster show, or a political show, or a show about misguided youth, or a show about the decline of media and news reporting, or a show about the American Dream.

It's a show that attempts to connect all the workings, peoples, problems, virtues, etc. of a modern American city in a meaningful tapestry. It's a depiction of the struggle against a slow and steady decay of urban America and the inevitable conclusion that this will all continue even after all the players in the game are gone. It's beautifully tragic, and it's well worth the watch, even if you didn't like it the first time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: