View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default The Wire: 10 Years Later

One of my favourite shows of all time. It's definitely a slow burn to get into but has some of the most well developed characters and intense and heartbreaking storylines. I try to rewatch it every couple years.

The Wire, 10 years on: ‘We tore the cover off a city and showed the American dream was dead’

Quote:
When, in 2001, the actor Frankie Faison accepted the role of deputy commissioner Ervin Burrell in a new HBO drama called The Wire, he thought he was signing up for a cop show. “I was expecting it to be more about wiretapping,” he remembers with amusement. “It evolved into something much more fascinating.”

HBO laboured under a similar misapprehension because The Wire’s creator, David Simon, had pitched the show to them as an unusually thoughtful police procedural, not an anatomy lesson in US dysfunction that he really had in mind. “I sold it as a cop show, but they don’t know it’s not really a cop show,” he told the novelist George Pelecanos when he invited him to join the writing team. In fact, he said, it was something audaciously new: “A novel for television.”
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...dream-was-dead
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: