View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #73
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny reading this thread, because of where I coach. I know its football, but there is a mandate that's arrived at by the association and the parents that this is program that wins.

There are development leagues, but we're supposed to get the higher level of players that are developing for midget and high school ball and beyond.

And I want to take a step back, I know I talk about coaches that sometimes take the game too seriously but are win obsessed, but the question that has to be asked is what are the expectations put on a coach by an association and by the parents?

Personally I think that a youth coaches mandate should be pretty simple

1) Are you providing a safe experience and environment for the players
2) Can the play look back on his experience positively

3) As a coach are you taking poor players and making them better players, better players and making them good players, and good players and making them game changers

If your kid is benched for a game you have to talk to the coach, its that simple.

You have to understand

1) is this a fair play league?
2) Is this team concerned with development? Winning or both?
3) Why was my son of daughter benched?
4) what as a coach and as a parent need to do?

I can say that over the last couple of years ago, I've gotten every player off of the bench and into the game. Why? Because its fracking cool man.

The only reason why I won't put a player out, is if he's taken a blow to the head during the game, I won't take that chance, or if he's a danger to himself (Doesn't understand his role, doesn't have awareness for whatever reason) or to others (Playing cheap).

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote