View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Did you really want to give up assets for a goalie though?
Last weekend, no. Things change though when your goalies look their age, at best, in these past 3 games, and the Flames got zero points this week in part due to less then average goaltending, while other teams around them all moved further away from the Flames.

Not making the playoffs is a disaster enough and these last 3 games have been devasting blows to the chances which, if went the opposite way and confidence then going into the upcoming trip, may have us all singing a different pgt thread tune right now.

I think Treliving really really wanted to pull the trigger on someone because he knows these young guys aren’t ready. Rittich looked bad before the trade deadline when pressure was on, and then it’s all on Gillies as an unproven rookie,, and he was probably was really hoping Smith would be back in time for this trip. But he’s now not, and though the asking price last weekend was a bit too steep, and, I don’t think he envisioned anyone available sticking around here past this year...but I bet he was still tempted for a pure goalie rental regardless, because Smiths injury seems very tricky to nail down, and that was known as such this time last week too.

There may be little need for Smith to come back at all and risk further setback if the Flames pooch this upcoming 3 game trip. It won’t just be goaltending now which may do them in now; it’s now the team as a whole with a pretty low feeling of themselves, after a terrible week...if Mr. Magic backup which BT gave up Mr. X for, wins the 0-0 shoooutout vs Dallas, kept Colorado at bay in the second period and gets a 4-2 win, and helped the Flames best NYR tonight in OT, the team would be feeling a lot better about itself and it’s confidence levels and it’s playoff chances going into Pitt on Monday, along with 6 more points than they have now, and a couple points up in the 1st wild card spot right now, not 3 points out of the second spot as they are.

Last edited by browna; 03-03-2018 at 01:12 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote