View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Goaltending misery

Smith would like to play 82 games a season if that was possible, I bet there was a plan to play him in every game except the second half of back-to-backs. GG has no flexibility. Can't react when Smith was obviously tired and wore down in some games. He sticks with his plan until it all crumble. I blame GG, not Smith or anyone else.

Now with Smith out, what happened to our goalies? Rittich started against some of the best teams, he had bad game against Florida, then bounced back with stellar perfomance against Boston, then was destroyed in Vegas. He lost the net to Gillies who managed to win against silly Yotes and like that matter more then the last year and half, took the crease, like the stuff had no confidence in Rittich all of a sudden. Gillies would not see NHL ice this season if Smith was healthy. HE was able to put up some good numbers against sub-par teams. But since Rittich came from Europe, he outplayed Gillies in every aspect. To think Gillies will miraculously jump over him just because they are in NHL jerseys.. Well, I say it's unprobable. Stats and numbers for either of them doesn't mean much since the sample is too small.

Now we have 2 goalies with uncertain future as both are on expiring contracts, both are nervous as they play for their future, battle each other for a spot and are under immense pressure of carrying lazy defence and impotent offense into playoffs. Rittich who lost confidence in himself after stuff did not backed him up and Gillies who is just not ready, not yet.

We did not traded for goalie, so I guess Smith is returning in few days. If not, Treliving is guilty of not addressing this issue, as much as GG is guilty of overplaying Smith even if that was a plan and Mike's wish.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote