View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #235
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's an obviously biased piece but it's kind of what I expect from newspaper opinion pieces these days. I just don't think anything the guy wrote about Peterson was particularly dishonest.
I mean after sort of skimming it my first instinct was to ignore it - the purpose of articles like this are to reassure an audience that already has predispositions that it's right to feel superior to Peterson and anyone who'd pay any attention to him. But fine, here are a few quotes. If you think these represent a particularly honest engagement with Peterson's views, I don't really know what to say to you about that.
Quote:
That any university prof, let alone a Canadian, should achieve such popularity is frankly unfathomable. How can such an absurd figure be taken so seriously?
Quote:
Where other academics rise on the strength of their ideas, Peterson's fame has crested on their sheer proliferation.
Quote:
It is little wonder, then, that Peterson is prominent among conservatives (he identifies as a "classical liberal," which is a conservative), angry young men, and the ranks of the alt-right.
Quote:
Peterson dresses up the language of misogyny in the woozy jargon of Eastern religion
Quote:
Jordan Peterson is the intellectual as guru-mystic, and the guru-mystic as shameless huckster.
It's basically non-stop with that stuff, and it should be self-evident if you don't already believe that Peterson is evil incarnate that none of it is fairminded. And yeah, a lot of it is out of context:
Quote:
a Christian in the thrall of Nietzsche; a self-styled individualist free-thinker who calls for the mass sackings of fellow academics; a wholly unimposing specimen who insists on the moral necessity of physical strength and bemoans the social taboo against becoming physically violent with "crazy women."
You're right, I just can't for the life of me imagine what Cliff's objection might have been to that particular style of engaging with someone's views.

If you're interested in what a fair critique of the guy looks like, I posted one on the last page, which explores in depth the issue that I raised earlier in the thread, including its implications for Peterson selling half-truths to the credulous followers who worship him.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: