View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #231
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
He showed he was ready. He did everything and more to show that in camp. He would’ve made the Flames better for the 9 games he was put in the A.

Trying to rationalize that it was because he was in the A for those extra games is what is ridiculous.

It was a mistake. Hey, we all make them, but it doesn’t change what it was.
I think we get caught up in the semantics of training camp too often. If I apply for a new role within my company and win a job based on the interview and merrit of work completed and my boss said to me, you got the job, we need you to finish up your existing project and will work on the logistics of getting you to your new location and into your new role within the next month or so, no-one would have a second thought about it. This is exactly what happened to Janko and to a lesser degree Rittich. There is a logistical component to "creating veteran competition" at training camp. We are not privy to this information, side deals etc. required to bring these guys in (and maintaining a reputation so future PTOs are willing to sign). Setting up training camp so that your team is only complete if players you expect to make the team make it, is a great way to eliminate competition from your camp.

Outside of 10 games at a reduced salary, I can't see of how either the flames or Janko were negatively impacted for the "transition period" to start the season. This is exactly how I want the team to proceed in the future. There are 82 games during the year where you can "make the team" based on merrit...not just one.

I also find this discussion interesting in a season where the flames have successfully graduated 4 going on 5 AHLers.