View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #4358
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, at least we don't have Melnyk as the owner: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...-disaster-yes/

Quote:
On the eve of the grandest celebration in modern Ottawa Senators history — what Eugene Melnyk predicted would be “the greatest outdoor game to date” — the owner of the National Hockey League team brought up the idea of moving his franchise.

“I’m not going to blow a lifetime of working hard to support a hockey team. It’s not gonna happen,” Melnyk said at Parliament Hill, prior to puck drop on the Senators alumni game.

“The bigger question is whether I’m prepared to blow all that money I made over many years in a different industry in a different country.

“How long can you underwrite a team?”

The 58-year-old Melnyk is the sole owner, governor and chairman of the Senators and one of the top 100 wealthiest people in Canada.

Melnyk vehemently denied rumours that he is looking for a buyers or equity investors in his team, which is struggling financially and, so far this season, on the ice.

“It just won’t happen. It’s a franchise. Imagine if you own a McDonald’s franchise, but you can move it. Why would you sell it? It’s something that’s very difficult to buy,” said Melnyk, prior to watching an all-Senators alumni game.