View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #33
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You're guilty of simplifying too. People have free will. They make choices. Addiction isn't a binary condition, and it doesn't magically take away all responsibility for your actions. Here are some people I know:

A) Very social guy who likes to go out and drink. Marriage fell apart and he met a younger woman who is even more social and goes out almost every night. In the divorce settlement, he chose to have his kids only every second weekend so they wouldn't mess with his active social life.

B) Guy with wife and kid who drinks a lot, often alone in his garage. Also drives drunk.

C) Guy who has been heavy pot smoker and drinker since high school. Works as little as possible. Owes every landlord he's had money and now lives in a camper.

Do you think all of those guys are blameless? Hostages to some cognitive behavior dysfunction that they never had any chance to overcome? Is my choice to judge in some of these cases an obstacle to my understanding?

Personally, I don't see any contradiction in saying people need help, but they should also accept responsibility for their behavior.
Have you been working on this reply for almost 3 months now?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote