View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #1856
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
So I'm a little torn between the 8+ and X, first world problems, I know. Rant time.

Currently, I have the 6+. And since iOS 11, it has been brutal. Locks up on a regular basis, slows down to a crawl, and have to wait for it to catch up. The battery isn't near the full capacity it used to be. All nit picky stuff, but probably time to get a new one.

Couple random thoughts when I'm deciding between the models.

8+ will probably the last major upgrade for this form factor. Future versions will migrate to the "budget" models in this form, and gear towards the X form for the major versions/features.

Assuming that is correct, the 8+ will probably be the Cadillac of this form factor, the final form, ideally the perfect iPhone. Probably very little issues with it from this point forward, other than minor bugs that would get software fixes. Missing features that are exclusive for the X, but overall, solid and reliable experience we all know.

The X on the other hand, latest and greatest, always fun to have those. But, higher chance of hardware issues with this being the first generation in this format, new OLED screen, what's the failure rate? The switch from Touch ID, to Face ID, I imagine there'll be some frustrations from that? not as fast or responsive. All apps and software have to be updated to account for the notched screen. Just an overall maturation process needed from a lot of areas.

I know those will all get fixed over time, but the current frustration with my 6+ is making me want to get a new one very soon.

The nerd in me wants the X to have the latest in greatest.
The other thought is stick with the 8+, stay with the reliability of it for another year or two, and sell it when the X form factor/problems mature a bit more in the next generations.

Decisions! End Rant.
I was in the same boat. I had a 6 though and had to keep charging it throughout the day. It would randomly shut off and also lagged since iOS 11. I’d go for a run with 60% battery and it would just turn off. With the X, I was not sure about the home button going away and I really like Touch ID, especially with Apple Pay.

I’ve had my X for two days now and I have to say it’s much better than I thought. It’s very responsive although I am comparing it to a 6. Face ID is fantastic. It’s so quick that when I pick up my phone it’s already unlocked so I can start to use it. It’s worked when I had glasses on as well. Impressed so far.

Apple Pay is easier to use now I find since I already need to look at my phone before I tap.

The form factor is great. I have CarPlay in my car and the center console where I plug in doesn’t fit my wife’s 7+.

It is a bit of a narrower screen though so a lot of video apps will have huge black bars on either side.

Overall I’m glad I went with this instead of the 8+.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post: