View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #710
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
An individual employer may not need to actively recruit tradespeople, and typically they would probably prefer to hire someone with even a little bit of experience.
I can only speak to my own experience on this but for employers in a large city and for a mid-large size company, they don't overly care. Sure if you could get a 2nd year apprentice who has previous experience with tools, that would be great. But really it's more of a numbers game.

You pay a 1st year apprentice who knows nothing of electricity 50% of a Jman, and he delivers a valuable but easy job. A skilled and smart 2nd or 3rd year apprentice making 60-70% of Jman rate is where companies make or break a job. A good 3rd year should be comparable to a fresh jman at 70% of the cost. I've heard of many companies screaming for moderately experienced electricians who are smart enough to know the no and hazards, but cheap enough to keep jobs profitable.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: