View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #3070
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A) Space telescopes have very very narrow fields of view. Unless it was tasked on this small spot, it would never see it. This motion would have been first spotted probably with a large FOV imaging device based on Earth. It is moving very very fast. Imagine looking through a paper towel tube, trying to spot an aphid fly by.

B)Again, it is moving very fast. Watch the animation, relative to the speed of the planets. We have no way of moving that fast. Our fastest probes take years sling shoting off of other planets to achieve a velocity a fraction of how fast this is moving. So,we are a long way off.

C) Our solar system is not very dense, yet compared to the space between solar systems it is full of activity. Empty space is incredibly vast. The fact we haven't detected something in the 100 or so years we would have spotted it doesn't surprise me.

If you haven't watched Powers of Ten, I suggest you do, to see just how the scales we are dealing with.
Appreciate the response but I have at least one potential issue with it. Regarding:

A) Without more info, from watching the video I’m left with the impression we had been tracking it for quite some time before it swung by Earth and through our solar system. If so, even if you’re right about our orbiting telescopes field of view making them impractical, are you telling me with confidence that there’s nothing on or around our planet we could’ve focused on the object for a lengthy period to give us a better image?

B) I fully understand and believe that. Wish we were a lot further ahead with our space traveling abilities but it is what it is.

C) I can believe the possibility exists but it just surprises me that large debris doesn’t travel through or near our solar system from somewhere else more often.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote