View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #5792
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
How do you like Zwift?

I'm contemplating if it's worth it to get a setup going for it this winter season.
I love it. Trainers aren't that fun, even if you're watching TV. Zwift gamifies the experience and makes training more social (if you want).

You can customize your "character" as you increase your level (20 XP points for every km). You can upgrade your bike, wheels and clothes. Like any video game, you need more and more points to increase each level. I'm level 17 after about 2400+kms on the trainer. You max out at level 25 currently. They also have badges (like Strava) that you can try to get. Little (and big) goals to work towards. Things like "Ride 50km", "Ride 7 days in a row" or "Hold 500w for 10 seconds".

The social aspect is more fun for me now. They're constantly organizing group rides and races throughout the day you can join. Or, if your friend(s) has Zwift, you can ride together. Zwift does the calculations for things like draft, elevation, rain, etc so if you're using a smart trainer you can have an easier or harder time depending on what's going on around you. If you're in a peloton during a race you can feel it become a bit easier to maintain the pace.

They also have a bunch of pre-programmed workouts. While it's great to just hop on the bike and ride around London, you can also do a work out that will push you through intervals or threshold training. I've only just started doing these and they're killer.

I'm doing my first race this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes. My goal is to not be last.

Last edited by KTrain; 09-24-2017 at 03:26 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: