View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #719
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
What are your guys thoughts on Glenmorangie 10 Yr as a starting point for a new scotch drinker?
Depends. That bottle sounds like a good choice if shooting in the dark. I would probably suggest also not to start off with a crazy expensive bottle and a bottle that is not too extreme in taste. I'd avoid ones with the following attributes:

- Hardcore peaty and smoky
- Cask strength
- Young scotches
- Sherry
- Medicinal/Metallic/licorice

Personally, I wouldn't blindly start with a bottle. I'd ask a few questions to determine what sector of the flavor map the individual may enjoy. What individuals enjoy sometimes surprise even themselves.

- Smoky/earthy
- Nutty/Woody
- Fruity/spicy
- Floral/sweet

Dig into someone's collection and try flavors without touching into price range. Once the "newbie" has liked something, begin looking into the flavor map to see what reasonable priced scotches/whiskeys may enjoy.

Though not necessary for you to take up, I've personally always offered to buy/trade a newbie's first bottle if it doesn't end up being something they fancy. No need to have anyone start their scotch/whiskey journey on the wrong foot. I have not yet needed to take someone up on that offer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote