View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #8473
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
I've heard lots about how great the ice district is in Edmonton, & how it's reinvigorating a section of their downtown. However most of it is just vague semantics and I've come across minimal city planning expertise, just Katz tire pumping.

There seems to be a disconnect between what's being said, what's actually being done and how it's actually being funded.

Having one developer (Katz) dominate a development would not inspire me with confidence either. His groups goal is to maximize profit while meeting mimimum standards mandated for public benefit. Competition is always betters outcomes.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...on-councillors

They still have a long way to go before the downtown is even remotely "revitalized." Soon as you leave Rogers Place there are hobo's begging for change and peeing on the street. My wife took my kids on an LRT ride downtown on Saturday around noon and was super uncomfortable as a drunk homeless guy kept following them around and trying to talk to them with zero police presence around. Downtown is garbage.