View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #34
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think a weekly PR poll if this stays in the news up until the election would be interesting. Once the flames offer is released does it swing back towards the flames?

Also for the few people outside of NEBs fat fingers. What do you see as the Flames accomplishing this week?
I saw nothing being accomplished this week. I saw some public squabbling on a Friday afternoon, where both sides looked bad. Fortunately, for both sides, that gets buried by the weekend cycle.

If the Flames accomplished one thing, they have established their fall guy in all of this. King came off looking like an arrogant dick, which is probably what ownership wanted. Nenshi has always come off as an arrogant dick, so now they are positioned to make this about two obnoxious personalities. They leave themselves an out in saying that this has become too personal between the two men, and both need to go.

If the Flames come out with their offer Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, and it is reasonable, they get to dominate the news cycle for the week and pound it home in the minds of people. This is their opportunity to sway the public. If they mess this up, Nenshi can use this as an opportunity to hit them over the head with their own plan, and again claim that he is fighting for the citizens of Calgary, which I have never believed. The Flames can assume control of the news cycle if their offer is reasonable, and they are prepared to present it well.

If I'm the Flames I have someone completely different come out and do the press conference for the presentation of the offer, and answer follow up questions. Get the focus off King, and get the focus on the offer and the reasonableness of the Flames organization. If this comes off right, it frames the Friday debacle as friction between King and Nenshi bubbling to the surface. Pushing King back out there has potential for this to be immediately dismissed and have the focus placed on King rather than the presentation. The press will be more interested in character assassination than exploration of the details of the proposal. In fact, I'd have King out of town on other "pressing business" and not have him available for comment or questions. Keep this press conference about the details of the arena, the entertainment district, and the value it brings to the city of Calgary and her citizens. The second this becomes about King is the second this opportunity to control the media message goes out the window.

This week is when the PR battle will be established. Once both offers are out in the public for all to see, then we'll be able to weigh which has the most value for the tax payers. Until then, we've got one side of the story.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: