View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #1093
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Weasel View Post
Passive aggressive threat / negotiating tactic. It is, after all, a negotiation. Reality is the city played their cards very poorly - releasing a glossy video showing their vision of a redeveloped Victoria Park with a new arena as the anchor. Oh, and guess what, the flames are essentially going to pay for it 100%. Victoria park is a collection of vacant lots and industrial land....it needs a big anchor tenant for the cities vision to be realized (and further justify the $6B c-train expansion). They need each other...so this posturing is ridiculous. But BOTH sides are to blame for that.

If the city has other co-investment options, I would be happy to debate them as required. In fact, it would be great if there was a new thread started about how much the City should be willing to subsidize Amazon to locate here.

The city shouldn't be funding anything privately unless there is actual value displayed but at least Amazon would provide possibly hundreds of high paying jobs to citizens. The Flames botched this from Day 1 with CalgaryNEXT and this is why it's taken so long to even get to this point.

There isn't going to be any negotiation unless the Flames realize Calgarians aren't as dumb as some of these other cities and adjust accordingly. A 30 year repayment scheme on 200M is basically a drop in the bucket when you consider the revenue the franchise generates and is probable open for some wiggle room.

No one is even talking about naming rights that would likely pay most of that 200M off with the click of a pen.