View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 04:53 AM   #3488
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Well then fill me in, oh enlightened one. What was the logic or goal that can explain all of the different choices she made?

Was she trying to divide Jon and Dany, as it would seem from the pre-storm out negotiations? If so, why come back and not only accept a truce but pledge Lannister soldiers?

Was she trying to divert Jon and Dany's attention to the North, giving her time to consolidate her hold on the South? If so, then why end negotiations and storm out, with no intention of returning, just because Jon won't stay neutral? And why pledge Lannister soldiers for the fight against the Night King, with no intention to follow through, instead of just accepting a truce? When the soldiers never start to march North, Jon and Dany would know immediately that Cersei was lying!
Sorry, didn't mean that to come across as condescending. Just meant that I seem to have encountered my fair share of Cerseis and petty political environments in life, and her behaviour seemed credible to me.

Her motives are creating division between her enemies, creating confusion and misinformation, and buying herself time to strengthen her own resources. She never had any intention of doing anything but screwing them over, and everything she said was just plays to gain her needed resources.

The play with Jon was smart. Either he stands divided from Dany because he agrees not to take her side, or she walks and he is responsible for the failure of their peace bid. With Euron on his way to get the Golden Company, she needs time, so a commitment of her troops would have been no big deal anyways. She could just delay, or recall them part way. Either way, she has bought herself time for her armies to arrive and has thrown a wrench in the plans of her enemies. Tyrion going to talk with her just gave her another opportunity to further manipulate her opposition and gain the time and misinformation that plays to her advantage. Judging by Tyrion's expression in the scene at the end of the episode, she may well have succeeded in sowing some further divisions or doubts as a result of the weakness they showed in coming to negotiate further with her.

That's my read anyways. She's nasty, but very effective.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: