View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #560
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It was a general statement, even qualified with a "sometimes".

I'm not saying that we can't. I'm saying that we should verify that the whatever case we make to remove these statues doesn't also create problems for more desirable objects. Far too often arguments are made that superficially appeal to "common sense" but aren't actually sound because the logic is not taken to it's conclusion (i.e.: "we should have A, because it gives us B and B is great", ignoring that A also leads to C and C is bad, and sometimes a deal-breaker). I'm not saying that the downsides to this are insurmountable, but creating a sound dividing line for what should be removed and what shouldn't is not trivially easy. At least not to me. And thus, going down this path will create issues. But that's not to say it won't be worth it.
To play devils advocate, should we remove FDRs likeness from the public eye? I mean, he put Japanese into camps during ww2.

On a serious note, I hope that statue of Lenin in Seattle doesn't make it through the weekend.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote