View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #47
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Sumo season is unfortunately in Februrary/March so unfortunately it can't be.

Try and get on a flight via Vancouver or direct from Calgary, no sense in saving 20 bucks to fly through the States. More trouble than it's worth. Usually the YYC Travel Junkie thread has a deal to Japan that comes up once every 4-6 months or so but it's been absent lately. However, you can get good prices if going in October, as it's between tourist seasons.

You'll likely fly into Narita, but if you can, fly to Haneda. Basically a downtown airport and way faster. Narita you need to take the "Narita Express" line to major stations in Tokyo, or have to take a slower train or cab. It's about $26 if I remember but you get to Tokyo in 30 minutes as opposed to two hours.

Have you done any searching about where you'd like to stay in Tokyo? I recommend Shibuya, Shinjuku, Roppongi, Ginza, or Asakusa for good balances between being central and seeing alot.

You would be amiss if you didn't take a train to Kyoto and see that too for a day or two. Beautiful place and has alot of Edo-era Japan, the kind of things you'd see in a historical documentary.

I could write more but I recommend looking at TripAdvisor.
Sumo in Feb/Mar? Not quite, there is a grand sumo tourney on every odd month of the year!

Jan = Tokyo ' Winter'
Mar = Osaka
May = Tokyo 'Summer'
Jul = Nagoya
Sep = Tokyo 'Autumn'
Nov = Kyushu (in Fukuoka, my home town )
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote