View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/pocket-wifi

Just have them deliver it to your hotel and it'll be there when you check in. Or pick it up at the airport. I find the hotel delivery more convenient as then the only thing I need to do at the airport is find the bus to the hotel or the train.

As you check out on your last day, put it into the envelope they supply and ask the front desk to throw it in the mail for you. Or throw it in the mail yourself...always a nearby post office.
I used this site as well. Pocket wifi is great if you have a larger group. Personally, I opted for the sim card on that website as it was significantly cheaper @ 15 days/2GB (whichever comes first) for $33 vs $103 for 15 days unlimited data on pocket wifi and a 20,000 Yen charge if you lose the pocket wifi module. I can tether another individual or two if needed.

2GB should be enough, I would use the data mostly just for looking up travel information as well as maps. The only annoying part of this sim card is that I have to set up an APN then delete it when I get back. But for $70 savings, it's not bad.

I'll need to keep my battery pack charged. I find my phone discharges far faster when not in Calgary. I have no idea why that is the case. Random, but I really liked this cable for my battery pack.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gembonics-Qual...ords=gembonics

I lost it with my original battery pack and I realize that other similar cables aren't as good. They don't charge as fast (especially flat cables) and aren't as durable. Sure you can't data transfer with these multi cables, but it's always nice to have a cable capable of helping almost anyone out.

EDIT: I've determine looking for Hakushu, Hibiki or Yamazaki on a quick trip in Japan to be equivalent to chasing a unicorn. I'll consider it a game in my life to see if I can acquire a bottle for a good price. Most of what I've researched mentions I need to go to areas more rarely traveled by travelers.

Last edited by DoubleF; 08-09-2017 at 09:59 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote