View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #30
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the major stations in Tokyo you can switch to English but it is correct that in the smaller stations that isn't an option. I recommend starting your day, so to speak, at a major station.

There are some good apps that have the Japan train system on it...put in your starting point and where you want to go. Pick the route that suits you best and hand that to the ticket agent and they'll get you what you need based on that. Some of the major stations have a similar thing by the ticket machines where you can plan the trip and print it out for the ticket agent. I tend to default to using an in person agent as I've purchased the wrong line a couple of times trying to do it on my own at a machine.

Now quite often your ticket is going to be Japanese...figure out which one is the track number. Then simply get on the train that shows up at the right time! It's bound to be the correct one. At least in my few trips so far it has been. One of these days I'll get screwed I'm sure.

I'd recommend a walking wifi unit which can prove useful to get you out of jams and find some of the better places to eat or some out of the way spot that makes your day (and for catching pokemon). It's about $75 for a couple of weeks I think and saves having to deal with switching phone plans etc which always seems to be a pain.

I echo the bring cash advice. A lot of places will not take cards. In Tokyo you will be able to find some North American ATMs (i.e english) to get some Yen but I am not sure how prevalent that is elsewhere.

Bring adapters for electronics though in most modern hotels you won't need them.

Last edited by ernie; 08-02-2017 at 10:16 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote