View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #116
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
As someone who lived in Alberta for almost 25 years, and having a ton of friends posting all kinds of dishonest memes on the NDP government and Trudeau, I weep for Canada.

Liberals, Conservatives, both have had a decades long hand in dismantling the middle class of Canada, not to the degree of the US but still we live now in a world where crony capitalism rules our legistlation, at least in Iceland there is a fair bit more awareness of the state of our own democracy, but then again it took a collapse of our economy and government of epic proportions to wake most people up.

I see far too many parallels with Trump supporters in Canada now with my old Albertan friends and their blind loyalty to the conservative party, but then again at least the idiot Dragon O'leary is gone.
I think you are out of touch with what's going on in Canada. The political climate here is nothing like that in the United States. The fact that your friends on Facebook are posting memes is not indicative of anything other than a high likelihood that the sample skews towards lower educational and socioeconomic backgrounds. As a counterpoint, I'm a born and raised Calgarian and the political discussions I encounter are generally intelligent and civil. For example, take a look at the stupidity on display in American politics thread and how that contrasts with the lively policy discussion typical to the Canadian politics threads.

Also, I'm not sure how the middle class is relevant to your point, but whether you define it by income quantiles or net worth, it certainly is not in decline in Canada. Wage growth has not stagnated here, as it has in the US, and we have among the best inter-generational income mobility in the western world.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote