View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #99
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Simply put: If the Flames believe by the TD that they are well positioned to play for a Stanley Cup and if Michael Backlund is a significant contributor to that success, then they are not trading him.
Simply put: The Flames can't afford to allow a significant asset like Backlund walk away for nothing. We watched for decades as this has happened, and as a result this team suffered greatly. If Treliving believes they are a contender, they are not going to allow that opportunity to slide, but he is also not going to do something that could harm the future of the team. He has already pushed in enough pieces, losing one of Backlund's stature for nothing doesn't make sense. If the Flames do not have a contract extension in place, Backlund is going to be traded. Treliving isn't going to allow an asset to walk for nothing. He may be forced to trade away Backlund for a large return, then I see him bringing in an older veteran to fill that same role, for a much lesser cost.

Quote:
This idea that every player which is not extended before the last good opportunity to trade him is a wasted asset is nonsense.
Except it isn't. It's how good teams remain competitive for decades rather than a few years and hit the rebuild cycle. Good teams will recognize when they have to move assets to recoup others to keep the system stocked. I believe we have a GM that has that mindset and not one who will go for it, and then get fired if he fails. I think he has an eye on the prize, but is setting the team up to take multiple runs at the cup, not just one and rebuild.

Quote:
In a perfect world I suppose this is true. But there are too many mitigating factors to expect a general manager to treat all of his players like commodities all the time.
Except that Treliving has shown an incredible ability to use all resources available to him to grab the players he wants and needs. Treliving is a very good GM, and he won't allow an asset of Backlund's stature walk away with no return. Not after selling out the draft for the next two years. He will make sure he doesn't allow a good asset get away. At least that's what he has done to date. If he is forced to move Backlund, I think he will have already beat the weeds and found a player to fill the need in the short term, while gaining assets. Treliving respects his players, but he won't allow himself to get attached to them to the point where he can't/won't deal them, and hurt the team as a result.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: