View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #1219
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I'd easily do 3 years at 4 million per for Marleau.

He is still a very good player and if he performs at the level he did last year, he'll easily be one of the biggest bargains in the league.

He might drop off slightly, but even if he only is a 30 point player in year 3 of that contract, that's still only slightly overpaid. He is not going to vanish, players like him do not just fall off the face of the earth, it's usually just a gradual downward slope.
The problem is the Flames cap structure doesn't really allow for a 3 year deal imo. The Flames have a lot of money coming off in 3 years with Brodie, Brouwer, Frolik, and Hamonic. They will likely let the forwards go and keep the D.

In 2 years they only really have Smith expiring along with Tkachuk. There is also a very good chance Bennett is signed to a 2 year bridge deal and he will also be expiring in 2 years. There is no money to pay a goalie, Tkachuk, and possibly Bennett.

Signing Marleau for 2 years would give the Flames extra money to spend that summer on Tkachuk who very easily could be oooking at $6.5M per.

My concern is how unmovable the Brouwer and Marleau deals could be in 2 years and risking the Flames losing a core piece.

Maybe I am just paranoid but I would hold firm at 2 years with Marleau and try and outbid the Sharks. You suggest 3 years $12M I personally would feel more comfortable at 2 years $11M