View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #1100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Nah, I agree with the sentiment.

Elliott was awful for most of the season, his best games happened to coincide with the best games from the team in front of him.

Johnson's 10 game streak or whatever it was happened to coincide with some of the worst team games in front of him if I am recalling things correctly.

Elliott looked like a pre-season vezina candidate and then needed his diapers changed after the first period of game 1.

As long as Smith doesn't #### the bed horrifically he will be a huge improvement on Elliott.

Awful.
No you are not. Most people were totally on board with brining Elliott back after his play got he team into the playoffs and it's only the last three games of the season that brought out this revisionist history by many that he was terrible all season. It's crazy how fans are dismissing Elliott's 10 game streak while lauding Johnson for his 6 game streak. Winning streaks are typically a combination of solid team play from the goaltending out as well as some fortunate breaks. Elliott finished the season with a better GAA and SV% than Johnson and that's despite digging a deep hole early in the season. Also lets not forget the Flames record winning streak came to an end with Johnson in net where he was truly horrific against the Bruins. Another note that fans conveniently forget is that Johnson didn't win a game in net for the Flames after February 24 and the Flames big second half of the season was pretty well all on Elliott's back.

Now I'm not going to say I wanted Elliott back or anything but it's clear that many Flames fans gone way overboard about Elliott based on three playoff games. He was one the team's best players in the 2nd half of the season and a reason they made the playoffs in the first place. I'm hoping Smith will not have the poor start that Elliott did last year but if he has a season of play as good as Elliott in 2nd half of this season, the Flames will be in a very good place.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: