View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #93
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
RIP Chris Cornell.

I hope it's not insensitive to say but I need a place to ask and learn.

Depression is a real thing, I have no doubt. However I always have this feeling that it's such a selfish act. I recognize I am uneducated and I want to give the benefit of the doubt but I just don't understand how someone can leave behind so much pain for their family by choosing this path. Especially when they have the resources to protect their family from this pain.

I know it's complicated and I hope everyone who is close to Chris are comforted as they deal with the pain and questions.

RIP
In a nutshell.

Ever feel so sad or depressed that you can't focus on anything else, like when someone close dies or you break up with someone, but you eventually get over it?

Ever feel a little afraid, paranoid or uneasy about a situation or person when it's irrational, like a fear of the dark, but once out of the situation you eventually get over it?

Ever make a poor decision, like yelling in an argument or drinking too much because you are upset or hurt?

Depression is kind of like dealing with the first 2 at the same time, only you can't get out of it, or you get out of it briefly and the feelings return constantly. We're supposed to feel negative emotions as a natural response and and defence mechanism, the problem becomes when we can't stop those feelings when we shouldn't be feeling them. Imagine how it would feel to never get out of those feelings, for months or years. It changes your perception of everything and feeds into itself. You lose your grip on how you should feel and can't find your way back. You begin to think it's all your fault, you start to hate life because everything gets to be so overwhelming. You try to find solutions but don't know where you need to get to, so you look for any way to escape how you feel. This leads to poor decisions on how to cope, because the individual will resort to anything that will provide relief, whether it's drugs, alcohol, cutting themselves or any other addiction or behaviours. When those fail to provide any lasting relief, you become desperate and at this point you may start to see yourself and your issues as a burden to everyone else around you, so you eventually come to the conclusion that it would be best for everyone including yourself that you not be here anymore to burden anyone.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post: