View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #255
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Hey, can you explain how the bylaws work in Calgary for EV Bikes?

From what I read before, powered vehicles are technically not allowed on pathways in the city? And at a certain power/speed, full face helmets are required? The laws might be a bit draconian but I can see where this makes sense as some of these bikes can get very fast.
I live in Victoria But I am familar with all the bike laws minus some of the Asia countries.

As per the Alberta provincial government an legal electric bike must not be more thn 500w CONTINOUS rwating which different than peak power peak . The motor shouldn't propel you more than 32km/hr. For some messed up reason Alberta is one of the only places in NA/Europe that require a D.O.T helmet but as long as the ebike looks like a traditional style of bike they won't big you. Ebikes must be able to pedal like a normal bicycle .
You must be over the age of 16.

Pedalecs ( has a pedal cadence or torque sensor) are legal on Calgary pathways but not throttle only.

You could have both installed and still should be ok.

No gas bikes allowed but thats not surprising since federally gas bikes have been illegal for on road use for almost a decade.

If they meet all the requirements they are consider as a bicycle. If they do not thwy are not aloud for use and can not be insured as they fall into no specific class and less you dot everything and have a mechanic sign off on it to make it a moped/scooter.

I do have bikes that are technically illegal but make sure when im onroad in populated areas i adhere to the requirments as they are the same in B.C. minus the atupid d.o.t helmet laws.

In time most N.A will soon be like California ebike laws . All bike laws in N.A are based around the original laws that California used originally .

Modern Cali laws that were inacted last year.

Refernces

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...ric-Bikes.aspx

Transportation Alberta has provincial laws.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote