Thread: For the fan.
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 AM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
It actually does matter. It actually does matter if he has lived through the years of disappointment. If you want to lecture fans on staying true to the team, it actually does matter what your frame of reference is. Someone who started cheering in 2014 can't readily lecture a fan who has been there for 3 decades of heartbreak before that. It actually does matter. I'm sorry that being young doesn't qualify you for everything in the world but being young doesn't qualify you for lecturing to Calgary Flames fans about disappointment.
You're wrong, I need you to know this.

It isn't a secret that I'm pretty young, that I'm still in high school (class of 2018!) and that I've only been following the Flames since 2008.

Yes, yes, three decades of heartbreak. Yes, yes, yes, that's all very nice. Quick question: if you've been following the Flames since their inception in 1972, or even since they moved here in 1980, does that mean that nobody else knows more about the Flames than you do? Of course not.

I like to consider myself a very knowledgeable fan. I could list off scoring statistics for most every Flame dating back to 1988. I recognize that I wasn't there to witness the heartbreak of '86 or '04, nor was I able to see '88 in person. That makes me less of a fan?

As if you can say what makes a better fan. Do you not respect the opinion of media members who are younger than you, who have access to information you might not? If I joined Sportsnet tomorrow and published an article telling you not to be discouraged by this loss, not to be heartbroken, you'd judge it not based on its actual content, but by my age?

I'd like to inform you that I've been a Flames fan in one of their most depressing periods in history. They've made the playoffs in three out of the nine seasons I've been following them, finishing in the bottom six three times. Then, they claw back to the playoffs, and they get destroyed by a team who I've literally never seen them beat at home, and have seldom seem them beat at all. But I'm not a worthy enough fan to describe heartbreak because I'm a ####ing teenager?

Also, I hate Justin Bieber.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: