View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 AM   #369
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Care to offer up some examples of me "ragging on Muslim countries?"

I've said that most of the world is far more conservative than the West. And I've said that Muslims are typically more conservative than Christians. I've also said the Muslim immigrants who come to Canada tend to more educated and secular than Muslims in general.

I don't especially care what people outside Canada do, and don't consider it my business. And as I said, our immigration system tends to attract more educated and secular Muslims. Our refugee system doesn't, though. It is perfectly sensible for liberals like myself to question the wisdom of welcoming large numbers of refugees from the more socially-backward parts of the world to Canada. Or at least to recognize that it will likely cause social friction.

It is fascinating how many people who don't hesitate to slam Christians and Christianity as gay-hating bigots hold their tongue when it comes to a religion that is far more hostile to gays. I guess the fear of appearing racist trumps everything.

Frankly, I think there are just far less opportunities to criticize the views of Muslim individuals or predominantly Muslim institutions because both are (a) far less common in Canada than Christian individuals and predominantly Christian institutions; and (b) less politically active than Christian individuals and predominantly Christian institutions.

I also note that there very few calls to expel or deny entry to conservative Christians for fear of "social friction".