View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #40
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Is there a map of what the actual flood plain in Calgary is? The wife and I are starting to look at houses in West Hillhurst, and friends that already live there are telling us it is OK, but I have my doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I know a couple houses on Bowness Road(in Hillhurst) just near 14th st that didn't have flooding issues in their basement, FWIW.

This is probably the best map I have seen
http://maps.srd.alberta.ca/floodhazard/
This is the provincial map. The City of Calgary also posts flood inundation maps for the following scenarios:You may have to click "try again" after clicking the link to get them to show up. I gather the 100 year is basically what 2013 was.

The Province's map is somewhat less pessimistic than the city's 50 and 100 year maps. The place I just bought is fine according to the province's map, but the surrounding areas are subject to local flooding (light blue) on the 50 year map and inundation (dark blue) on the 100 year map. However, my house itself isn't coloured in - not sure what that means if everything around it is inundated. Maybe it's slightly elevated I guess?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote