View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #444
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
The 1988 Calgary Olympics posted a $140,000,000 profit. That's in 1988 money, today with inflation I'm sure the profits could be even higher; especially when you consider that our facilities still exist and are still
World Class.

The unique tourism that Calgary will gain from a new generation of people that otherwise wouldn't have visited Calgary if not for an Olympics makes this venture worth it in my eyes. Calgary already spends a fair bit on marketing tourists? The Olympics can be seen as one big marketing tool. Millions will be watching on television world wide and who knows, maybe the ones who do come to visit may fall in love with banff and lake lousie and etc and may make it an annual trip. Personally, I think the risk is worth it.
The revenues could be higher, but the costs of hosting the games have increased dramatically since then. More events, more athletes, more security, more press.

I think the tourism argument has already been disproved based on the historic data from past games. Also, I don't think Banff and Lake Louise are suffering from a lack of tourism. Last time i checked, it was still pretty tough to find a crap hotel room in either place come the summer season.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote