View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #999
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post

That said, the point remains that if you want a player like McCutcheon you are going to have to empty your prospect pool to do that. Baseball prospects are a dime a dozen though, so really, there isn't nearly the harm in doing it there is in other sports. Also, you can literally turn around and trade that player again the next year and recoup all the assets you just lost in trading him. If the Pirates would have been willing to take what was supposedly offered, I think the Jays should have been all over that.
Which is why I think it's very unlikely that was a legitimate offer. You could argue that the Jays could have made that deal and actually gotten better prospects if they flipped next off season. Certainly perhaps more MLB ready prospects and especially if he had a bounce back year (probably likely playing in Rogers center). Why it probably was never close to happening. Pirates would want more and will still likely get more next year when they move him.

I think the problem with all of this is in today's age if a team places a phone call and asks about a player suddenly its a rumor. I have no doubt the Jays asked about McCutcheon and I also have no doubt the conversation was probably short because they couldn't meet the asking price.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote