View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #350
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I don't consider adding players to try and clone last year's team as trying to win when they don't address our biggest issues.
Our biggest issue is replacing the win value lost by (presumably) departing players. Trying to clone last year's team, without shooting yourself in the foot longterm, accomplishes precisely that.

It's like this... we have Donaldson & Happ under control for two more years Russell for three, Tulo for four. As those guys drop off we can afford to keep Sanchez, Stroman, Pillar, Travis, Osuna. Going out a blowing money on a weak top tier free agent class endangers that. I think the smart move is to squeeze enough value out of the mid-tier free agents to replicate the success this year and get your way to the next round of homegrown talent.

Think of it this way, in a few years (in dollars and talent)...

Sanchez/Stroman = Lester/Ariatta
Russell = Montero
Osuna = Rondon
Pillar = Heyward (Except less expansive)

and right now we're waiting for our Baez, Soler, Bryant, A. Russell, and Kendrick to make their way to the majors.

That's what the guys we're going to sign now are for... a bridge to stay competitive until the next wave of talent arrives and then we can spluge on Chapmans and Zobrists.

Rogers is giving the Jays the resources they need and I believe in what I think the vision of the current front office is.

Last edited by Parallex; 11-17-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote