View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #183
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
I never feel intimidated by them. Don't we want them to be a little tough? seems like everyone wants to be coddled these days. You don't think they are preserving the peace just because they have black and white cars? This is silly. Why do t they drive pink cars, instead of guns and tasers they're armed with compliments and warm fuzzy feelings lol
Frankly, I'd rather our police culture to be more like Europe than like the U.S. I was genuinely astonished the first time I went to Europe in '89 and saw police that were normal sized men and woman who weren't strutting around with guns and cuffs conspicuously displayed. And I didn't notice criminals running rampant in the absence of the threat of an ass-kicking from cops.

The culture and methods of policing are changing. Enforcement through intimidation is out, community policing is in. It's just gonna take some time for the culture to change.

Again, the thing to keep in mind is only a fraction of police interactions with citizens are with violent criminals. Hiring and training strictly on the basis of 10 per cent of police work is not good policy.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: