View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #262
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
The show has a good premise, good cast and the beginnings of interesting themes, but instead of exploring those it just has us guessing what the #### is going on all the time.

Conversely, True Detective had all the mystery but the characters themselves were compelling and that's ultimately what kept me coming back week after week.

Compare this to Stranger Things, where there was a tonne of mystery but the show had 3 dimensional characters you cared about.

Firstly, your rating a show very much in its infancy against 2 of the most critically acclaimed shows out there. I'm not going to get too much into the failings of those shows but neither was perfect. Seeing Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey in roles more or less written for them is a treat. It doesn't take a great script to make that work. Even then, by the end of it, I was glad they'd wrapped it up and the overall payoff was pretty lousy. The whole thing ended up being more style over substance.

I'm not sure where you are getting that characters in Stranger Things were so 3-dimensional. The characters were basically all established archetypes from 80s movies. The greatest criticism of the show was that the cast, largely composed of children, did an inadequate job of providing character depth and had shaky performances. Even the actors themselves resembled 80s child actors like Will Wheaton, Sean Astin, etc.. The actors were all hired for their looks as opposed to any kind of acting chops.

As for Westworld, I find several of the characters quite compelling. I'm drawn in by the fact that you don't know if they are even real or just spitting programming during conversations. I like how they juxtapose characters like Dolores with characters like the sloppy lab techs.

To each their own. But I find this show is off to a great start. I do get how some could conceive Westworld as getting a little too clever for its own good.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: