View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #405
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Slava, a pound of bacon is new to me! I did see some people catching walleye at little bow PP last year with breakfast sausages, so I guess it works. We usually use bait fish, which is allowed at Pigeon this year too.

Do you guys ever research using the Bathymetry maps available on the AB gov site for specific lakes to find some good spots for fishing? I found the Pigeon lake map, just curious what you guys think are good spots in general. I have found a few places that have steep drop offs next to fairly shallow areas. So drops to 10m from about 3 or 4m, would it be good to troll along those edges?

Anyway, I am still pretty new to all this fishing and learning what to use for each species and from a kayak, this will be my first year using any sort of boat.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
I took a peak at this map, I am assuming you mean this guy?

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...ryMap-2005.pdf

PL looks to be a pretty good size lake I imagine you could find some hogs in there even though it doesn't get very deep. If I had a boat I would be heading straight for that sunken island just east of the middle boat launch. I'd just do passes right over top of it back and forth till I found where they are sitting, and I guarantee they are sitting near there.

However, you being in a kayak, not sure I'd want to be out in the middle of that lake (especially if it has heavy boat traffic) so another good spot is just south of the launch there. There is an underwater point where it extends out at the 5 meter depth, troll back and forth over that like 8-20 feet. Should keep you close to shore and safe but still able to tackle some structure. Another good point up by Itaska beach. I'd bet good money you will see a string of boats anchored and jigging south of Argentia beach between the point and that sunken island as well.

Stay away from the south end of that lake, to shallow and gradual of a drop. You want the severe drop offs. Also try and fish at dawn and dusk if possible, dusk is especially deadly. Walters are night time hunters so the darker it gets the more active they become. During the heat of the day they generally just stay in the cold water.

edit: I dug up some 'pics or shop' for you, spoilered for size.

Spoiler!

Last edited by GreenLantern; 06-02-2016 at 09:54 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post: