View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #3007
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Goaltending should be able to be addressed through free agency. Do not give away assets if you don't have to, especially for an unproven goaltender or a guy that could be severely impacted by the changes in equipment standards. I would think the Drouin boat has sailed. The Bolts will want an asset ready to play right now, so say good bye to Bennett if you want Drouin. I also believe that you be very careful in dealing away 1st round picks as they are the life blood of your system, especially in the salary cap era. You need a steady stream of low cost players that can support or replace your stars as they become too expensive or ineffective. We don't want to get back into the troubles that Sutter left behind.
This makes sense if you can pick up a UFA goalie that is equivalent. I personally am not sold on Reimer and would rather have Bishop, but of course it depends on the acquisition cost. Also agree that the Drouin ship has likely sailed.

The one part of the post I disagree with, is the notion that the change of goalie equivalent is somehow more likely to negatively affect Bishop than another guy, UFA or otherwise. He is a big guy and will still be able to wear big pads. To me the rule changes will affect the little/skinny guy that wears bigger pads. Either way, I think it is pure conjecture as to which goalies it would affect more.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.