View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #2849
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see the Flames giving Wideman away, much less buying him out.

I would still bet on Wideman bouncing back. Maybe he won't bounce back too high, but I don't think he will have another terrible season.

I do think the Flames would like to trade him, but if they don't get something they feel is fair, I would bet they keep playing him this year and trade him as the deadline approaches.

In no way would it make sense to trade him with retention for Korpikopski. It would only make sense if he was some type of locker-room cancer that absolutely had to go. Korpikopski has pretty much zero value to the Flames and probably wouldn't play. I would rather Wideman stick if his salary sticks, even if he is a healthy scratch and waits until injuries. That has more value than Korpikopski at essentially 5.25 million a season.

Wideman may not be worth 5.25 million a season right now, but I think few would argue that he is a heck of a lot closer to that number than Korpikopski. He at least has some chance at playing at that cap hit - however likely or not some of you feel, there is a realistic chance he plays at or close to that contract next season, while Korpikopski has essentially zero chance.

Even a stright-up trade makes me think there is little to no reason to do it. Wideman retained for whatever Korpikopski is making will return something much better than Korpikopski, that's for sure.