View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #6587
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I hated that scene with Negan. He might be good later, but that was ridiculous hamming it up there. Literally a 10 minute villain monologue. Are you ####ing kidding me? I'm severely disappointed in what I saw.
I think that's intentional. A good chunk of this season played into a question of "Who's Negan?". We get several episodes where they reference him (the photos smashed heads come to mind in reference to Negan's handiwork with Lucille) and it pretty much played entirely in the "extended spoiler" that they used to have you sit through half of Into the Badlands (where they end off with "All your stuff belongs to Negan").

Now that they present him, it seems like they wanted to cram as much characterization in as they possibly could before setting up a cliffhanger. Probably not my favourite choice in terms of direction but I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan did a fine enough job delivering it given its material.

I guess long story short for me: good actor, not so good script. The cliffhanger was obvious and pretty forced in my mind. A more natural choice might have been killing the character and having Negan's group disperse, leaving the surviving cast to grieve.