View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #3072
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
This is a forum full of opinions, find yourself a bank manager or executive you really trust and ask him/her some questions.

I won't get into my personal experiences with who and where but it has also happened to me, I knew going in it would, and played out exactly like I expected. I put 60% down, when I wouldn't listen to my banker, they actually brought in a financial planner for me, spreadsheets an all showing how much more sense it made to go with 10% down and CMHC, invest my other 50% for 8% returns, while only paying 3.5% on my mortgage.

And I could really care less if you believe what I'm telling you.
You sure showed them! Assuming a $500,000 house that 5% spread on your down payment over the last 5 years would have earned you almost $70,000. Subtract the $10,000 or whatever CMHC fees are and you're still up $60k. Please explain how you came out on top here...

Edit:

And yes, this is a forum full of opinions. In my opinion in this low rate environment you can do very well by maximizing your mortgage. That is of course if you actually save/invest the difference...

Last edited by kevman; 03-17-2016 at 01:26 PM.