View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #877
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I don't follow your logic. Why does it mean we would have to be a dynasty and why would it have to mean we're in deep deep cap trouble? Why can't a 3rd line guy be a core player?

Obviously my definition of core doesn't seem to jive with other people's. To me core is the people we're building around. I guess to some it means guys who are untouchable? I don't like using that word because anyone can be traded in the right deal

You have to have two lines of bottom 6 players. Those are important positions too. It's okay to consider your elite bottom 6 guys to be core. Detroit won several Stanley Cups where their bottom two lines played a big role. Guys like Helm, Abdelkader have been core guys for Detroit even though they played for years on checking lines.
I would consider core players to be the top 3-4 forwards, top 2-3 defenceman and starting goalie.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, ???? (2016 1st rounder?)

Brodie, Giordano, Hamilton

???? (Hopefully Gillies)

Everyone else is either just a stop gap (Stajan) or a support player that can be replaced (Russell).

Last edited by codynw; 02-23-2016 at 11:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post: