View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #121
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok Red, I'll bite. But before I do, please note that the question you asked was regarding what the NDP has done to cost O&G companies money. Debating whether those changes are good or fair compared to other jurisdictions has nothing to do with the question you asked. Also please note my previously stated belief the price of oil is 90%-99% responsible for the current economic woes. The NDP are a drop in the bucket. But they are a drop and that drop consists of.

Cash Cost Impacts
These are items that immediately impact the bottom line of the income statement.
1. Increased corporate taxes
2. Increased carbon taxes

Financial Uncertainty
These are less easy to quantify but directionally they create uncertainty for capital markets. Uncertainty drives up yields to deploy capital which basically means less capital deployed or charging more to deploy it.
1. Allowing the spectre of royalty changes to loom for, what, 8 months. Then continually delaying the new framework.
2. Putting a severely underqualified person in the Energy Minister's chair (admittedly they didn't have much to choose from)
3. Actively campaigning against KXL and Gateway

Limiting Growth of the Oil Sands
1. Putting a 100MT cap on oil sands emissions.

Those are the ones that come to mind at least. I purposely left the minimum wage increase out of group 1 since it's probably a minor impact to energy companies. But directionally any upward pressure on wages in a jurisdiction creates upward pressure in all industries throughout it.

Last edited by Frequitude; 01-13-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post: