View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #610
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Any Macallan fans? What are you opinions on the no age statement switch? Is Macallan gold still a good scotch or is Macallan sacrificing quality for quantity?
An add on question. The new Gordon and Macphail single blends from 'mystery' distilleries are generally thought to be MacAllan. They are the ones with customized labels, Crowfoot or Kensington or Whereever. Has anyone tried one of these?

My thought on Gold is that it's only slightly better than the other introductory offerings like Glenlivet Founders or Glenfiddich 12. I would think that the value starts at Amber, and if you're feeling froggy, Sienna. If you're set on an introductory Scotch, Gold is still not a bad choice in that Highland/slightly sweet world. Bowmore 12 (peaty), Benriach 12 (sweet) would interest me a lot more for about the same price.

I would drop MacAllan Gold altogether, and give Sheep Dip a shot. Not as sweet, but such a nice balance of everything for slightly less than Gold, in a blend.