View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #187
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
We had never been to Cataract creek and thought it was ok. We spent the first day heading downstream and fishing any pool we found. I had a little brook on a couple times but nothing worth keeping.

Fish surfacing a lot. Then Saturday we spent the day on the Highwood at the emergency store, just under and down from the bridge.

I was snake bitten but my boyfriend caught 3, we thought were rainbows but think they might be Dolly's.

He didn't have his phone so he didn't get a shot of the 12" trout he caught. He said all three were the same.
Rainbow or Dolly's?

Today we went upstream of the Cataract creek campground and found some nicer pools, little guys jumping all over but no luck. I had another brook at the base of some rapids jump out of the water for my fly but I missed it!

I would recommend heading upstream from the campground if you head out there for sure. I could have easily spent the whole day out there.

Anyway, our next trip will be to hit up the Highwood closer to Longview. At least between Longview and the Kananaskis boundary.

Has anyone floated the Highwood or kayaked it??
Those are Brookies.

Floating the Highwood is not feasible for a variety of reasons, it is a walk & wade stream. The best (and most scenic) fishing on the Highwood is upstream of Longview, some amazing pools with a good shot at a big Bull. It can also be very good in the 4 KM stretch upstream from the confluence with the Bow.

*Bring bear spray if fishing west of Longview, especially this time of year.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote