View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #82
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
If you think Ortio has been terrible in the NHL and average in the AHL, then you... weren't paying attention.

Also, the sample size for his NHL save percentage is the size of a pea. Just removing his two most recent games played (one of which was playing injured behind AHLer defensemen like Ramage, Kulak, Engelland, and Wotherspoon against NHLers, and the other of which was in a building the Flames get destroyed in every single time, just ask Hiller or Ramo their success rates in the Honda Center) and his NHL career save percentage jumps to .917 which would place him in the upper echelon of NHL starters. Two games later, neither of which could possibly be considered his fault if you actually watch them, he's down to a "terrible" .899. Hmm

And let me guess, Jon Gillies is better than Carey Price too, since Price's save percentage in his series vs Tampa Bay was only .896
Like I said, Ortio has already played basically as much as Irving did at the same age. The sample size was large enough to cut him off.

Gillies probably had a few awful games during the season this year. If he hadn't had those bad games, he could have 93.5% instead of 93%. People are saying that Gillies didn't perform well in the finals. They are forgetting that he was playing against the most offensive team in the league. Yet he still won.
Bad games are included in the stats for a reason. Ortio's last game of the season was against a sub-par Winnipeg team that had already clinched the playoffs.

And the NCAA is not far behind the AHL in terms of quality of play. 93% in the NCAA is much more impressive than 91.2% in the AHL. Not to mention Gillies is quite a bit younger.

I'm not saying Ortio is a terrible prospect. I'm just saying Gillies is a great prospect. IMO he's among the best goaltending prospects in hockey.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote