View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #1137
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I just want to know what the reasoning is for getting a lot of nice watches. To me, it seems like a waste since the whole point of a watch is to tell time and that has been taken over by a phone.

Just want to know what the mindset is. I'm quite interested to know. I don't have nearly the appreciation for watches as I think that I should and it kinda bothers me. Maybe I am missing the point.
I really don't know if there is a point...lol.

To me, nice watches to men, are what nice shoes are to women. Some guys have the fetish, some don't. In the odd instance I have forgotten my watch in the morning, I feel 'off'. I just need to have one on my wrist. Even though the time is in the bottom corner of my computer screen, and on my phone, I don't look at it, I will still look at my wrist. And I think some of the old school guys that remember growing up without those conveniences, it became habit.

When I meet someone new, or a new client, the first thing I look at is their watch. And it tells you a lot about the person in front of you. Just a natural instinct.

I used read the watch sections over and over in Consumers Distributing catalogues and Sears catalogues as a kid. Didn't really know what I was looking at, but they fascinated me. I used to sync my watch to channel 4 time, once a week. I used to take apart my digital watches to find out how they worked. Why my mind became so interested in them, who knows. But it is something you can never shake, no matter how hard you try. And the older you get, the more you start to appreciate the high end stuff.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: