View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Fair enough but you could explain this to me: If I could afford one of the single detached 2-story homes a block away I'd be in one, with no condo board. Why does a condo board with volunteers have to exist in the first place? I am here for budgetary reasons, not because I want someone to shovel my driveway. What if there isn't a board, every unit owner shovels their own driveway, mows their own grass. Am I just woefully ignorant here? I didn't sign up for a condo board, it just kinda came with the purchase.
Pretty much. Most of the costs associated with your condo fees are usually insurance, management and accounting, utilities for common areas (and units if included), and reserve fund payments to replace common area elements. Repairs and maintenance are also quite often very expensive. None of this stuff is really a situation where people can save money by doing it themselves, except maybe management. And if you don't trust the condo board members, I can't see how you'd want to push for self management. (especially if it's not you that'd be doing the work)